View Single Post
Old 05-13-2007, 02:12 AM   #108
molson
General Manager

WCCW June Star Wars
Saturday, Week 4, June 1983
Dallas, TX: 5,000 SOLD OUT

-As I expected, Michael Hayes was booked for the WWF tonight, and is unavailable.

-This event has a current historical significance of "Above Average", which puts it in the middle of the pack of our monthly events. It will be a 2-hour event, not including the pre-show

-Pre-Show Dark Match
Brian Adias & Barry Orton defeated The Villanos in 5:41 when Adias pinned Villano IV. (D). Villano V seemed off his game.

-Pre-Show Dark Match
Ken Mantel & Frank Dusek drew to a 10:00 time limit draw. (C)

-Buddy Roberts and Terry Gordy come out to the ring, and announce that Michael Hayes in unable to be at the arena tonight, since he's resting up in a hospital after saving several dozen children from a burning orphanage. They "apologize" to the fans about having to cancel their 6-man tag title match tonight against the Von Erichs (B-).

-Jim Garvin defeated Scott Casey in 8:40 by pinfall following interference from Precious. Garvin & Casey showed bad chemistry. (C) After the match, an angry Casey grabbed the mic and demanded a rematch against Garvin. (C)

-WCCW Commissioner Whipper Billy Watson came out to the ring and stated that while it's true Michael Hayes is not there, there will still be a six man tag team championship match tonight. The Freebirds must either use a replacement wrestler for Hayes, or take on the Von Erichs 3-2. (C).

-The Great Kabuki & Gary Hart then enter the ring and demand that Kabuki's match with Manny tonight be in a steel cage. Hart has arranged the cage to be here tonight, ready to setup, claiming that he's asking last minute so Manny can't back out. (C+) Watson says the match can take place in a cage only if Manny agrees. Fernandez comes out and accepts the challenge. (C) A giant video screen near the entranceway shows the highlights of the Manny/Kabuki feud to this point - Manny's house show debut victory over Kabuki, Manny's TV debut that led to a beatdown from Kabuki & Magic Dragon - putting him out of action for several weeks, Iceman Parsons sticking up for Manny - and then getting beaten up in the parking lot, Manny's return to the ring, the "mystery" attack on Magic Dragon, and Kabuki's subsequent paranoid behavior (C-)

-Chris Adams defeated King Kong Bundy in 6:37 by pinfall (C+). Before the match, Hart hyped his client (C). After the match, Adams celebrates with the fans, having decisively won his feud with Bundy. (D+)

-Bill Mercer interviews Manny Fernandez about tonight's cage match (C-). He then interviews The Great Kabuki & Gary Hart (C-)

-WCCW 6-man Tag Team Championship Match
Kevin, Kerry, & David Von Erich defeat Buddy Roberts, Terry Gordy, & the replacement partner for Hayes, Butch Miller of the Sheepherders in 12:40 when David caused Roberts to submit, apparently winning the 6-man tag team championships. (B-). Before the celebration can start however, Skandor Akbar comes out with Billy Watson. Akbar says that during the match, he referred Watson to a rule in the WCCW bylaws - Watson didn't have the authority to make this a championship match with Hayes not present. Watson concedes that this is correct.

-Fritz Von Erich comes out to the ring an references the "open challenge" made by Akbar last night at the TV taping. He said he's ready to take on Waldo tonight, and then he'll take on the rest of the Destruction Inc. crew, 1 at a time. (B). Akbar came out with his client, Waldo Von Erich, and hyped the upcoming match (B).

-The announcers briefly address the crowd, mention upcoming events, and hype up the upcoming Waldo/Fritz match as being historic (C+)

-Fritz Von Erich defeated Waldo Von Erich in 4:40 by pinfall by grabbing the ropes for leverage. The two showed good chemistry, Waldo looked off his game (C+). Before the match, Fritz cut a brief promo hyping his chances (B)

-Steel Cage Match
Manny Fernandez defeated The Great Kabuki in 17:47 by submission. (B) Before the match, as the cage was being constructed, a video highlights the dangerous nature of this type of match, showing clips of WCCW cage matches of the past (C). Also before the match, both Kabuki (C), and Manny Fernandez (C) cut very brief promos before entering the cage, both promising victory. After the match, Iceman Parsons comes out, making his first apperance since the Parking Lot beating 5 weeks ago. Manny and Persons celebrate in the ring (C).

-WCCW Texas Heavyweight Championship Match
David Von Erich defeats The Super Destroyer in 14:04 by pinfall to make his 2nd defense of his title. (B+). Before the match, Akbar hyped his client - and promised that the crown jewel of Texas Wrestling will be in Destruction Inc's stable shortly (C+). After the match, all 4 Von Erich brothers celebrate in the ring (C+)

Overall Rating: B

THOUGHTS

-WCCW reaches a new milestone - it's first "B" rated show. We've had 26 shows to this point, and only reached B- twice, so this is huge. And it comes as a surprise, I didn't think it was going so well when I was booking it. Texas popularity keeps steady at 69.9%. If it takes a "B" rating to stay at 70%, we've got a little further to slip in Texas, I think.

-Obviously, the main event was the most important factor - David and the Super Destroyer validate my decision to run their match as the main event, rating an excellent B+. 9 of the last 11 matches David has been involved in has reached B- or above. This appears to be the 3rd match in my tenure to reach B+. That's the end of the current loan agreement with the Destroyer - there may be more in the future.

-My road agent says Akbar's character needs "freshening up". I'll look into tweaking it, but I'd say a guy named "Skandor Akbar" only has so many options.

-The Manny/Kabuki angle was hyped throughout the show simply because I wanted to get through all the angle segments and complete the feud tonight. It may have helped give heat to the angle - the segments themselves were all pretty mediocre, but the cage match delivered a solid B, and took up almost 18 minutes. This was Kabuki's 13th match for me, and highest rated - before this, he only had one other match reach even B-. In Manny's 7th match for me, it is also his highest rated yet.

-The Fritz/Akbar angle also got a lot of time, and the segments were once again highly rated. The match (which at 5 minutes, took up much less time than the related interviews and promos) got a C+ even though Waldo was apparently "off his game".

-I didn't intend to have a "Dusty Finish" in the 6-man tag. I set the titles to change, the game gave he warning asking me if I was sure I wanted to do that without Hayes being involved. I either accidental said "no", or I discovered a bug, since the titles didn't change hands. So the Freebirds are still the champs - for now. .

-The Adams/Bundy angle mercifully comes to a close, with a pretty good C+ match. It may be time for an Adams heel turn.

-The Garvin/Casey feud is just getting started, but unfortunately, it's obvious the first time they wrestle that they don't have good chemistry. We'll go ahead with the angle, but it will stay at the bottom of the card. If Garvin can make this interesting, my opinion of him will go even higher.

Last edited by molson : 05-13-2007 at 09:57 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote