View Single Post
Old 05-05-2007, 03:03 AM   #478
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Someone tell Ozzie Guillen that Darrin Erstad has no business hitting leadoff, even if he did play football at Nebraska. I know he "plays the right way" and "knows how to win", but its nearly as bad as Leyland hitting Neifi Perez leadoff for stretch of games last season.

No business? I don't know about that. He has some speed. He's a good baserunner. He sees the ball well for contact purposes, and makes the right decisions with the bat when he needs to (when it comes to hitting in the ground or air, pulling or pushing, etc.).

All that said, yes, he is a bit too much of a free swinger and not patient enough for the leadoff spot. And it seems silly to have him there when you have Posednik on your team (who for all his hitting woes can certainly create more on the paths than Erstad).

I was always a little disappointed when we settled for Ersty at the leadoff spot, even in his better years. It was a relief in 2003-4 when Figgy finally established himself and we could actually put a true speedster at the top (although he also is too much of a free swinger).
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote