View Single Post
Old 04-30-2007, 04:37 PM   #411
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
It's a small sample size. I bet he had 4 starts like this (or close to this) for the Angels last year. He's just a bad pitcher. Mind issues are only part of it. He's pitching in a tougher league against teams that have beat the crap out of him.
His worst 4-start stretch last year in terms of ERA was from April 28th to May 14th where he was at 9.58. His worst 4-start stretch in terms of WHIP was from July 17th to August 2nd where he was at 2.03 (this was his first 4 starts for St. Louis).

So what he's done so far this year nearly twice as bad as any stretch he had last year in terms of ERA, 1.5 times as bad in terms of WHIP.

I agree his stuff isn't all that good, but it's more than just that. I don't see any other evidence that he's pitching injured (though that certainly wouldn't shock) me - it just appears that he's battling a combination of bad luck and a fucked-up mental state. He was a serviceable pitcher last year in the post-season and for the last month of the regular season - to go from that to what probably ranks among the worst 4-start stretch in major league history is fairly remarkable.

Yeah, many people thought he sucked heading into this year, but almost nobody was predicting he'd suck anywhere near this bad thus far.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote