View Single Post
Old 04-30-2007, 03:30 PM   #118
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
The Shadow

The Shadow starts with one player, and gains a second on Night 0. After that, each night they can try to gain more recruits. As a night action, each Shadow player chooses one player to try to convert, he focuses his shadow energies on him. As more are converted, the power of the shadow being is split among them. The first conversion had a 100% chance to succeed, when there are two players, each has 50%, when three, each has 33%, and so forth. The more the Shadow spirit is divided the harder it is for him to focus his energies for more conversions. Once the votes are sent to the GM I will total them up and start with the person receiving the most votes. Any total Shadow force that's 50% or more means an automatic conversion, IF the target player can be found and is not protected somehow. After that I will go down the list by percentage. It's possible no one will be converted in a given night, but there will never be more than one person converted.

Once a player has been converted by the Shadow, they can no longer use their original magical role. They can continue to use mundane roles if they wish.

The Shadow players will be able to communicate with all the other Shadow players, through a method I will reveal to them.

It's important to note that the Shadow players DO NOT know the identity of the other Shadow players. They can reveal themselves if they wish, but this will open them up to exposure if/when any of the other Shadows are cleansed. This also applies if they agree to vote for a certain person, but it might be worthwhile if they want to convert a key person. They will be able to communicate with each other, but anonymously.

Yeah, re-reading this, I think Swaggs you are either really off base or just giving faulty logic, as the longer the game goes, I think the less likely it is that all of the shadow players will know each other.

Some other things that caught my eye though..

I had originally assumed that the shadow's power is weakened the more its divided as in the number of players it controlled. Re-reading this though, it appears its only divided by the individual actions of those controlled by the shadow. If everyone controlled by the shadow puts in the same target for conversion, its still 100%. Also the rules indicate any time its 50% or more its an automatic conversion.. so we'll likely have conversions for a good bit of the game. They also have the ability to communicate even if anonymously with each other. I have to assume that a major topic of discussion there would be whom the conversion target would be.

The other thing that caught my interest is that once converted, the player will no longer be able to use their magical role, but would be able to use their mundane role still. I noticed earlier there were some discussions that someone started about who had mundane roles. Perhaps the early targets of the shadow would be those whom would bring additional powers with them to the shadow once converted. I'll go back and re-read to see who it was encouraging others to indicate if they had mundane powers or not. I think at this point, it would be wise to not say one way or another about that.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote