View Single Post
Old 04-23-2007, 07:50 PM   #308
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
CHICAGO -- Mark Prior's right shoulder still hurts, and the oft-injured Chicago Cubs pitcher will have surgery Tuesday.

Prior will have an exploratory arthroscopic procedure in Birmingham, Ala., Cubs general manager Jim Hendry said Monday. Dr. James Andrews has been given permission for a more extensive operation if he determines it is necessary.

"He's had some discomfort for a couple years," Hendry said. "It's finally gotten to a point where it's probably the right decision to let one of the best people in the world go and have a look around to see if anything can maybe be fixed, if it doesn't need something major. Dr. Andrews has the clearance if something needs to be fixed or tightened up."

Prior, who made just nine starts last season, was optioned to Triple-A Iowa after a poor spring training. He stayed in extended spring training in Arizona and went on a minor league disabled list.

Prior was 18-6 in 2003, when the Cubs were five outs from reaching the World Series. But he has been saddled with injury problems ever since. He made 21 starts in 2004 and 27 in 2005, his career untracked by injuries to his legs, elbow, oblique and shoulder. He has been on the major league disabled list eight times.

Hendry talked to the 26-year-old on Sunday.

"He was in good spirits," Hendry said. "I think he's at the point now where he realizes it's time for this to happen

Wasn't he pissed that the Cubs had the gall to send him to Iowa in the first place?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote