View Single Post
Old 04-07-2007, 11:26 PM   #125
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I really don't have any more info on what happened...but as a NY fan, I would be totally against it.

1) It already takes some of the fun out of opening day when your team opens with 2 series on the road, leaving you to celebrate the "home opener."
Someone has to start on the road, I don't think all 32 teams can start at home

It just doesn't make sense for Arizona (75-85 and pleasant here) to travel to 40-degree Colorado and 20-degree Washington to open the season. Same goes for Seattle (60-65) playing in 28-degree Cleveland and 33-degree Boston.

Quote:
2) Obviously everyone plays 162 games so it balances out, but I think a two week west coast road trip just isn't fair. A 3-9 start isn't out of the question for even a very good team.
Why not just have a two-city road trip for the first week of April that minimizes the weather issues and then go back to normal? Now, we are going to have a slew of double headers that will have much more of an impact on records down the road because MLB didn't want to anger fans in cold climates.

Look at the NFL, this was the first year in nearly a decade where the Arizona Cardinals opened at home (cause they finally had a dome stadium). Now, maybe opening on the road meant the Cards often started 0-1, but it didn't make sense having teams and fans sit out in 105 degree weather to watch football.

Quote:
Play more day games. Don't shift the schedule anymore than that.
Day games really would have helped the conditions in Cleveland and Washington.

Just be smart and if you have an opening series between Arizona and Washington, Cle-Seattle or NYY-Tampa, maybe start with the obviously warmer city (Crazy! I know!).