View Single Post
Old 03-17-2007, 08:40 AM   #352
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post

-- Pundits and fans bitching about mid major vs mid major matchups. Southern Illinois earned a 4 seed, Butler earned a 5 seed. That is awesome, I love seeing small schools come up big and earn those high seeds. But then you get complaints that Butler should be matched up with a power conference team and shouldn't be forced to knock another smaller team out. If Butler earns a 5, and ODU earns a 12, so be it!

-- The result of one game does not tell anyone anything about whether a seed, or a spot in the tournament was deserved. Thsi goes both ways. The fact that NC State beat Drexel doesn't mean Drexel doesn't deserve to be in the NCAA Tournament. The fact htat Duke lost says nothing at all about their seeding. Poker players ought to understand this. Just because you lose a hand doesn't mean the decision you made to put money in the pot was wrong. The decision to make Duke a 6 may well have been wrong, based on the criteria the committee uses, but whether Duke gets upset or wins the national title has nothing to do with it. Stop pointing to the result of one game as if it is any sort of proof of anything!

Many of us in here call this the most exciting sports weekend of the year! Enjoy it!

I agree with both of your points. I was merely defending against a high-major homer that threw out some completely unbalanced stats that don't tell the picture. I only come out in defense of the mid-majors when someone comes in bashing them or making it out like they suck and don't deserve to be there. I am not the aggressor in these discussions, it's the high-major people who try and knock down the mids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
Try not to jump to any conclusions there sport.

#1: I think it is silly to classify a team as whatever-major and then lump it with others. Every team is a separate entity. So, no, I don't think the discussion is valid. I think it is contrived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
I understnad that you don't see it. I'm annoyed by the amount of attention that this topic is getting in this thread when I want to read and discuss actual games and teams instead arbitrary groups of teams so I am not going to discuss it further.
You are the one who doesn't understand. Again, probably because you follow an SEC team. I follow the SEC and CAA (Vols and W&M). To try and put the two conference on the same level is absurd. There is a very good reason for the distinction.

a. Money. The amount of money that the High-Majors get over the Mid-Majors is ABSURD. TV, Donations, etc, etc. It's a completely different field

b. Media Coverage. The High Majors get a vast amount more.

c. Bias. In selection, in TV, in commentators, in everything. A High-Major team that is not as good as a mid-major team will often get into the tourney because they are in a high-major.

To try and ignore the obvious distinctions between conferences is absurd. It is FAR from arbritrary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote