View Single Post
Old 03-16-2007, 04:50 PM   #282
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Dola - sorry if that was a bit rude, but I get very furstrated at the High-Major bias.

Just to pick a random post to respond to... I feel like I'm probably one of the biggest basketball fans on a football board, but I have no desire to read this thread b/c somehow in the last couple years the debate about mid majors has become as bad as any political debate/thread I can find.

Personally, I grew up on ACC Basketball. I root for all ACC schools except Duke. When no team in the ACC is involved, I root for the lower seed(with small exceptions, I will never root for Bobby Knight, for example). I love seeing mid majors get in and I love seeing them pull upsets.

There are some things to me about the last week that have simply been rediculous:

-- Pundits and fans bitching about mid major vs mid major matchups. Southern Illinois earned a 4 seed, Butler earned a 5 seed. That is awesome, I love seeing small schools come up big and earn those high seeds. But then you get complaints that Butler should be matched up with a power conference team and shouldn't be forced to knock another smaller team out. If Butler earns a 5, and ODU earns a 12, so be it!

-- The result of one game does not tell anyone anything about whether a seed, or a spot in the tournament was deserved. Thsi goes both ways. The fact that NC State beat Drexel doesn't mean Drexel doesn't deserve to be in the NCAA Tournament. The fact htat Duke lost says nothing at all about their seeding. Poker players ought to understand this. Just because you lose a hand doesn't mean the decision you made to put money in the pot was wrong. The decision to make Duke a 6 may well have been wrong, based on the criteria the committee uses, but whether Duke gets upset or wins the national title has nothing to do with it. Stop pointing to the result of one game as if it is any sort of proof of anything!

Many of us in here call this the most exciting sports weekend of the year! Enjoy it!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote