View Single Post
Old 03-07-2007, 07:38 AM   #481
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Randy Moss is the big rumor, but I'd much prefer Joe Horn. Fits the system, a proven #1 a couple years ago with a couple years left in the tank, especially if he's got the chip on his shoulder from "being disrespected" by a bad organization for the past 7/8 years. Shades of Corey Dillon when we got him from the Bengals. (And before any NO fans jump on me, I think Sean Payton is a great coach and your team is finally going in the right direction, but before last offseason you were pretty much a mess. And I blame Tom Benson.)

No disrespect taken. Calling the Benson/Haslett/Brooks Saints anything other than a "bad organization" abuses the English language beyond all recognition.

As I said earlier in this thread, any team that can sign him to a contract without a lot of guaranteed money is possibly getting a great player for a year. In 2004, he got 1,400 yards and 11 touchdowns with Aaron freaking Brooks throwing to him. Adjusting those numbers to account for the Aaron Brooks factor, we can see that had he had Tom Brady throwing to him, he would have gotten eleventy-billion yards and infinity touchdowns.

Joe Horn also, more than other players, has always taken professional stuff personally. So I think that the "shoulder chip" factor cannot be overlooked and you are right to focus on it.

All that said, I wonder if the Patriots are the best fit for him. It's all rumor and speculation, but apparently Joe Horn really likes being a #1 receiver, and I wonder if he will be able to check his ego at the door--especially for a team like the Patriots that will demand it. Saints fans who went to the games said that during the last few games when he was sitting out injured, he just sat by himself on the bench and sulked--in comparison to other injured/inactive players who were still participating in sideline huddles, coaching, etc. Of course, that kind of sulking might indicate a guy who just needed a change of scenery, or it might indicate a guy who won't play well with others if he isn't the alpha dog on the offense. Hard to tell.

I actually see him ending up in Atlanta. He will get to play the Saints at least twice and will get a situation similar to what he had in New Orleans--no real leader on offense, so he can take the "superstar/leader" role on for himself.

All that said, he sure was a great player for us and really was the face of the franchise for quite a few years there. I'm sad that he didn't get to retire a Saint.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote