View Single Post
Old 02-28-2007, 01:14 PM   #496
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Technically speaking, I think Sanjaya gave the best pure vocal performance last night. He hit every note spot-on.
The problem was there was no range at all in the song and he sang it in almost a whisper. I could hit every note singing "Twinkle-Twinkle little star" in a whisper voice right now - that doesn't mean I would be any good for American idol.

I think you have to grade the delivery and the challenge of the song (as well an interest/compelling factor). With that in mind, I would go:

1. Blake Lewis - the only really compelling performer for the men. He always chooses challenging songs and is original. On voice, he's probably 4th - but he's top on the total package.
2. Chris Richardson - Tough song with a ton of range. Pulled it off.
3. Sundance Head - Showed the best voice (power and range) but still lacks something.
4. Chris Sligh - Most likeable and was on key in a somewhat rangy song.
5. Phil Stacy - John Waite is tough to sing and he did OK.
6. Nick Pedro - I like the crooner style and he picked a good song, but he lacks the talent to land in the top 5.
7. A.J. Tabaldo - Solid performance, but as Simon would say "Very forgettable".
8. Brandon Rogers - Has a good voice but chose a horrible song. Hope he makes it through, though, as I think he can get better and be a factor.
9. Jared Cotter - Even more forgettable than AJ and Ive struggled to even remember his song after the first two weeks. While he's not awful, he has no upside (or interest) so I'd rather just see him go.
14. Sanjaya Malakar - Atleast he's not forgettable For those giving him credit, it's akin to giving an Olympic gymnast a high mark for doing a solid technical handstand when everyone else is flipping around. There was no difficulty in his song and he lacked even a shred of stage presence. If you are going to sing a song that needs personality to even count, atleast give a little stage presence and get the crowd going (like Nick did). He can't win, is almost unwatchable and I can't think of one reason to keep him on the show (outside of the train wreck effect).

Last edited by Arles : 02-28-2007 at 01:16 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote