View Single Post
Old 02-28-2007, 09:49 AM   #488
Poli
FOFC Survivor

My idol story:

Last year I went to Columbia, SC for weapons training before going to Africa. Few of us knew each other. There were two other people from my command and I didn't even know them.

Our first official gathering or meeting came that Sunday evening before training. We were called down from our barracks to the chapel and it was the first time we saw each other, generally speaking.

Late walking through the door was...man, someone special. This poor guy...I just couldn't describe him accurately. He walks into the standing room only chapel and strides to the front, wearing a Takeo Spikes Bills jersey. By the way he's wearing it, he either had no shoulders or someone stole them. Poor Darryl also had a shaved head and glasses that were way too big for him. Darryl then looks up and down each pew for an open spot. Finding none, he stands in the middle of the doorway, folds his arms, and announces, "Fine, whatever."

"Wow," I said to my newly made friends. He's got winner written all over him.

Fast forward about 2-3 hours. Three of us are attempting to play spades. Darryl shows up and asks to play.

During the game, the other two players are discussing music, in broad way...Do you like this band, that band, every band. Not knowing much about music, I stay out of it. Darryl, on the other hand, keeps trying to throw some classical music into the discussion and is laughed at.

Near the end, the discussion becomes a cutdown party. The line from "40 year old Virgin" comes in.

"Do you know how I know you're gay? You like Cold Play." said one.
"Do you know how I know you're gay? You have the American Idol soundtracks." said the other.

"I tried out for American Idol," Darryl responds, "But they told me I was too old."

Ever since, I've been tempted to review the previous season audition shows. He had to have been on one of them.

Darryl turned out to be an electronics technician like I am and worked in the same shop. I could talk all day long about the things that guy said or did while he was there.