View Single Post
Old 02-16-2007, 10:36 AM   #163
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
My story about a guy getting paid to watch football:

I worked for a year for Covington & Burling, the main outside legal counsel for the NFL. The Kansas City Chiefs placed the tag (or its precursor) on the defensive lineman who lined up on the end of their line (totally don't know the guy's name).

The team argued that he was actually a defensive tackle because Derrick Thomas lined up to the outside of this guy and rushed on every play--and this guy was really playing defensive tackle in that scheme.

The player argued that he was a defensive end.

So this guy at my firm got paid to watch every single defensive play that the Chiefs ran the previous season in order to determine what percentage of plays the guy played like a defensive tackle, and what percentage of plays the played like a defensive end.

And I totally forget how it came out. But the general point is that I think that sometimes you just get an arbitrator to determine what position someone plays.

Interesting. Good to know!

I actually seriously considered working at Covington and Burling because they were outside counsel for the NFL. After doing a bit of digging, however, I decided that it really didn't seem like a place I wanted to work at. Very stuffy by all accounts.

Still, getting paid to watch every defensive play the Chiefs ran in a year is about 10,000x's more exciting than what I'm doing now.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 02-16-2007 at 10:37 AM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote