View Single Post
Old 02-05-2007, 10:51 AM   #228
aztarheel
High School JV

Steve Victory JOURNAL – NCT Final Four 2028

Wake beats St. Johns 81-64, and defending champion Illinois cruises past Texas 91-68 to set up this year’s title game. Victory fumes as he watches the Longhorns basically crumble against the Illini. “We could have given Illinois a much-better game than this,” he says to his assistants. “Of course, I thought we could beat them in last year’s title game and we crumbled, too. And we couldn’t beat Texas ourselves... It’s just too hard to watch this awful play…”

Victory worries that Wake might suffer the same fate as last year’s State team and this year’s Texas squad as Monday night’s championship game opens. Illinois scores first and in the first few minutes looks ready to run away with another title. But then something happens to the boys in black-and-gold.

Shots start falling, and the confidence level rises. Wake leads 49-41 at half and then keeps the Illini at bay throughout the second half. All five WFU starters reach double figures. Final score: Deacs 91, Illinois 80. For the third time in four years, the NCT trophy will reside on Tobacco Road, in ACC country!! Victory, while miffed that it’s not coming back to Raleigh, is glad about that… At least Illinois didn’t repeat. State is still the lone team to win back-to-back titles since the calendar rolled into the 2000s.

A few other final notes to the 2027-28 season:
· The Sheriff, Jeff Wilt, does get the Alabama job after much political pressure (the storming of the Chancellor’s building was just the beginning). His first team goes 14-17 (4-14 vs. SEC foes) and doesn’t make the post-season, however. It’s a good thing he got out at George Mason. The Pats finished 8-23. Yuk!

· College of Charleston, a team Victory still follows faithfully, went 25-8 this season. Virginia knocked them out in the first round of the NCT. CoC now has a prestige of 54. Sometimes, when Victory’s mind is idle, he wonders if that school will ever come calling again and if he would say yes to their overtures. Of course, coach Michael Williamson has survived several attempts at being ousted and has continued a nice program there…

· SW Missouri State wins the ACT, beating Austin Peay in the championship and Ohio State in the semis. East Carolina also reaches the ACT Final Four, giving the state of North Carolina a solid basketball year.

· NBA Draft: SG Marcus Hill gets taken 16th by Cleveland. PG Ian Demory gets nabbed 37th by Philly

Job offers: Actually, here is where things get interesting again for coach Victory, now 55 years old. Going out to the West Region with his Wolfpack exposed him to a lot of teams from that region. Specifically, officials from Arizona State, Cal, Washington State and Oregon approached him (albeit discreetly) about “coming out West” to finish his career.

The coach is intrigued and flattered to say the least. The Pac-10 instead of the ACC? He’s also blown away when Notre Dame makes a bid for his services as well. And Nebraska. And North Carolina again. And Maryland. And Texas Tech. And Kansas State.

“Nah, I can’t go anywhere. I’m a State man and we’re on the verge of a true dynasty here in Raleigh,” Victory muses to himself. “That newspaper columnist said we could win five more titles here, maybe more.

“But it would be neat to see if I can rebuild one more program before I retire. And now, here is Steve Victory, coach of the national champion California Golden Bears… or ASU Sun Devils… or Notre Dame Fighting Irish… or…”
aztarheel is offline   Reply With Quote