View Single Post
Old 01-18-2007, 01:55 PM   #121
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

The freak show aspect is not necessarily new, but they've ratcheted it up this season. Plus, I don't think they're differentiating between the people who have what appear to be social/intellectual issues and those who are just plain nuts - in a non-clinical way, of course. I knew how they were promoting last night, but they still went farther than usual and I was caught a bit off-guard by it.

Case in point being William Hung. If you put him side-by-side with the Zitsman Serial Killer dude, they kinda acted the same way - socially inept, clueless, etc. But Hung's issue was almost entirely culturally based, which is why he became such a phenomenon - he had an endearing innocent-yet-clueless quality to him (well, that's the best explanation I can come up with). Serial Killer dude and a few of the others have serious issues, the least of which is being embarrassed on national TV.

That's not to say it won't continue to be popular...but many will continue to be a bit uncomfortable with certain segments. Again, though, it's not enough to kill my interest in the show completely.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote