View Single Post
Old 01-14-2007, 07:10 PM   #18
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan View Post
I would have agreed with you initially, but if you look closer his numbers are far, far more impressive than Addai's. He scored a shitload of touchdowns and had a phenomenal YPC.
Very fair point. I probably give Addai more credit for crossing the "mystical" 1,000-yard barrier and Jones-Drew too little credit for not "only" putting up 941. I'd be perfectly willing to accept the argument that Jones-Drew's season was more impressive than Addai, especially since I like the guy as a player.

DeMeco Ryans should absolutely be on the list, ahead of Hester certainly. But this list certainly smells of somebody in marketing who is not a hardcore football fan and just put down the names that they see on SportsCenter.

I think Colston received the least amount of publicity of anyone on this list, and Ryans didn't receive the publicity he deserved because all he did was tackle people -- he didn't intercept passes for TDs or engage in head-hunting practices that result in those "hard hits" the highlight shows love (yes, that's a reference to Shawne Merriman's 'roid-rage-filled rookie season last year, when I don't think he was necessarily the best rookie defensive player, but he got the most attention because he mad about a dozen really hard hits).

I'm also not a huge fan of APY that include kickoff return yardage. It's certainly a skill, but but it's an easy 20 yards on every return. It's a nice stat pad. Jones-Drew was third in the NFL in all-purpose yardage just ahead of Larry Johnson, but I wouldn't put Jones-Drew on the All-Pro team ahead of LJ just yet. Dante Hall was 13th in the NFL in APY, which I think let's you know all you need to know about APY as a measuring stick for greatness.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote