View Single Post
Old 12-25-2006, 01:36 AM   #502
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Just saw a few (not much to do lately ):

Hotel Rwanda - 9/10: Wow, just an utterly moving film. I know it has been described as "Schindler's List in Africa", but it is far more than just that. Yes, you have the guy who sacrifices his well being to save folks from a genocide, but you also have the anger and disappointment as the west decides they aren't going to help (great scene with Nick Nolte at the bar). And it gives a great view of Africa, and the corruption inherant within (this time it is for the good).

History of Violence - 6/10: I guess it was a decent psychological flick, asking the audience to figure out who the main character really is, and then when it reveals that, asking the audience to wonder about some of the backstory. Very slow moving film and not horribly done, but it didn't feel as good as the reviews made it out to be (and perhaps my lower score is a result of not living up to the hype). Though I did like that it wasn't your cookie cutter movie.

House of Flying Daggers - 8/10: This is a very well done martial arts flick. It isn't as good as "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" or "Hero", but its got a pretty good story of its own, with a lot of plot twists (it does come from the director of "Hero", after all) and some great action. What puts this movie up to 8/10 instead of 7/10 is just the amazing cinematography. Very well done and I kind of like how the ending leaves it open.