View Single Post
Old 12-06-2006, 08:52 AM   #433
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Going to share a story here, even if it's WSM 06. So I'm in my first season at Vauxhall Motors. We started off in the top half, but have since fallen to 18th. We play a 3-5-2, with my D-line split wide, so I just have one centre back and two fullbacks, then two DMs to help fill in the holes in the middle. Then one MC, my wingers moved up to the AML and AMR spots, and two strikers. Our offense is great, tied for first in goals scored (21 in 13 games), but our defence is crap -- giving up more goals than anyone else in the league by far (26 in 13 games).

Anyway, we're playing minnows Chertsey in the early stages of the FA Trophy. We're up 1-0 in the 89th minute, when my left fullback gets a red card. No big deal, we can hold out for 5 more minutes or so, right? No. They score pretty much immediately. No big deal, we'll just play them at home. However, that guy was my only left defender! So I modify my line, and put everyone in as centre backs. The result? A 1-1 draw, in which we were up a man for probably 100 minutes or so. We lose on penalties 5-3, but that's okay -- we should really focus more on getting promoted, right? Or maybe avoiding relegation.

Anyway, our next match is against Kettering. Our left fullback is back, but our left winger is out -- and again, that's our only left winger! So I switch to a 3-4-3. I move my right winger to a third striker, move my MC up to AMC, move one of my DMs up to MC, bring in another MC to replace my injured winger, then keep one DM in the middle, so my 4 middies are in kind of a narrow diamond formation. Since I don't have two DMs to fill in those gaps in my D-Line, I bring my left defender in to play centre back -- this is really the only guy playing out of position now. It's a home game, but I'm basically just crossing my fingers and hoping we don't get burned too badly. The result? Kettering gets on the board, first then the rest of the scoring is ours -- all 8 goals! Even after sending our striker, Tom Rooney (who rocks, by the way), off for a standing ovation and having a right fullback play forward after the 86th minute, we still put up another goal! Anyway, after the 8-1 victory, our offense is by far the best now, and our 27 goals allowed is only two more than the next worst team. Oh, and we move up the charts, to 17th! Huzzah! Anyway, I've got a bit of a condundrum. That winger was one of my 2 or 3 best players, but we managed to really dominate by focusing our passing through the middle. Any ideas?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote