View Single Post
Old 12-05-2006, 02:10 AM   #423
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Hooooleee shit.

In the ManYoo-Arsenal CL Semifinal, Arsenal were the much better team in the first leg, and won 2-0. So for the 2nd leg at Old Trafford, ManYoo were pretty much doomed.

A) They had to win 2-0 to force Extra Time/Penalties
B) Win by three clear goals or more to advance

Anything else would not be enough, and considering we (*) were playing the best goalie in the game (Igor Akinfeev, who Arsenal bought for 26.5 Million Pounds this year), that would be a tall task.

We got a first half goal from Wayne Rooney, but it was still 2-1 on aggregate entering the 2nd half, and we would need THREE goals if Arsenal scored again.

Minute 51: Rooney hits a 30 yard chip over the backpedaling Akinfeev to tie things up!

Minute 62: Lukas Podolski in a scramble in front of the net, knocks in a rebound! 3-2, Man Yoo! (of course, this still meant that if Arsenal scored, they would lead on the away goal)

Minute 88: Arsenal keep pressing, and on a counter attack/break by ManYoo, Marc-Andre Kruska scores to make it 4-0 on the night, 4-2 on aggregate, and we're through to the final!

Holy shit.. I was literally dancing in front of the computer screen.

(*) Yes, I'm the Evil Guy in charge of Man Yoo, but I didn't start there, I moved there last year after 4 1/2 seasons in charge of Tottenham, and I'm not sure they're not still burning me in effigy there