View Single Post
Old 11-09-2006, 08:07 AM   #1835
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24;1300552
H. Take the team summary for example. Here is B-R.
[url
http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/2002.shtml[/url]

The starters are on the top. Then it decreases by playing time. VORP is an odd way to sort the players, alphabetically would make more sense then that even. Fielding is divided by position, in a way that you can actually find something other then just a jumble of players with defensive numbers.

The minor league stats have to be separated from the major league stats. Also, the entire name of the city would be helpful instead of the alphabet soup of 5 levels of minor leagues - the space taken up by the border in the player card would be better used to say 'Providence - AAA' rather then 'PRV-AAA'. The SISA ratings going on the player cards are worthless if you are using scouting - it's always good to have an idea of what you really think the players ratings are as you scroll through the league's history.

The player history NEEDS to be split into categories. Transactions, injuries, ratings, awards at the very least. Then that information might actually be useful - trying to pick out how often a player gets injured 10 years into a career is hard work right now.

In the registers the Z-A sort is odd.

You are right though the rest of the almanac if first class - I give you major credit for that. Some tweaks to the player card and it will be an amazing feature.

My biggest complaints are:

The amount of work going into making a trade makes it very difficult to implement a house rule around my payroll. Sounds like this might get better in the next version.

The single player AI hasn't kept me from winning 120 games after 2 or 3 seasons without me really doing anything in game. This might be better now, hopefully even better then that in 2007.

Scouting could be implemented well, I don't think I'll ever agree with SI or some on the board on this one, but at least I can turn it off.

The constant need to keep the minor league teams stocked is a killer. Sounds like this is an option in 2007 - is it just historical though, or is it going to be fictional as well?

I wouldn't say I like the interface, but if the 4 things above worked in my mind, I wouldn't let it stand in my way of being a proponent of the game.

The complaints you have regarding the history is valid. So I just fixed all what you said, except for the split up player history which is not an option.

Ghost players can be used in normal leagues as well, it isn't restricted to historical ones.

If you won 120 games all the time I tip my hat to you My teams always suck In my current fictional league I haven't made the playoffs in 3 years. But maybe the reason is I am playing 2007...

No AI in a text game will ever really be able to challenge the experieced user without actually cheating. It would be totally easy to add some sort of increasing difficulty modifier based on human team success, and not tell anybody. But that is very poor design IMO, so I am trying to code the best non-cheating AI possible...
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote