View Single Post
Old 11-08-2006, 03:41 PM   #1825
PSUColonel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevebsfan View Post
I personally never got comfortable with the new UI.

The funny part is I felt prior versions of OOTP had a clunky interface when I played them, but the new UI makes me miss the old one, that's how bad it got imo.

I couldn't even tell you problems with the gameplay because I honestly never got by the UI. I couldn't even simply figure out how to easily take over as GM of a team without going through some coaching process first. I like the idea of working your way through the system, but to force that on people is just one of the type of issues the game had.

You could have possibly patched it and made it easier on later versions, but after like 2 patches and still being confused, I gave up on the game and have no intention of coming back until I hear great things next version. You may want to focus a bit on your UI before you release.

Perhaps some of the games features need to be improved upon, but that doesn't mean it is a bad game. For instance, so many are complaining about the lack of ability to shop a player for trade. I would argue that the old system in OOTP 6.5 is actually flawed because it made it too easy to trade, and therefore easy to rip off the AI too frequently. I will be helping as a beta tester on the trading module, and I can tell you that going back to the ways of OOTP 6.5 is a bad idea. I don't yet know what direction the next version will go in, but what would be wrong with the ability to designate any given player as trade bait? (much like being transfer listed in FM) That way you could see what other players are being shopped, plus you would receive offers based on players you have designated as trade bait.(and the same for AI controlled teams) This is what I will suggest at least. This is just one example though. I don't understand why so many people want to revert to how simplistic OOT 6.5 was? Better games are somewhat more complex...that's just the way it is. FM is by no means a simple game yet I don't hear all the complaints over there. Setting up a league and getting going may take a little time, but once you do it a few times, I can assure you it's not nearly as complicated as people are making it out to be. Also...I am getting the feeling that because of this, many people here have really not given the latest version a fair shake. I find the latest version to be pretty damn good. The AI is much much improved, and if some of you would/could actually take the time it takes to get a league going, you'd find OOTP 2006 to be a very good game that will likely get much better. This is not to say I don't have my problems with it either, because I do. One example that comes to mind is that even if you tell your manager to handle lineups/depth/pitching, when playing out or watching a game, the AI will not substitute for fatigued players for human or AI teams.(even if your depth chart tells the AI to) So this is something I would really like to see fixed. But what is distrurbing to me is just the negative negative attitudes here from people who really haven't given the game a fair shake because it's just too complex. If that's the case, then maybe this game isn't for them...maybe they'd be better off with something like baseball mogul. But of course all of those people will now get angry with me because they somehow feel I'm being inflammatory, even though that might be the truth.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote