View Single Post
Old 05-10-2003, 08:27 PM   #6
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

June 14, 2002

Bloody Hell!

Northampton Chronicle & Echo

Poppies Hire Unknown Manager

KETTERING-- Kettering Town FC board chairman Peter Mallinger announced late last night that Matthew Kieta, a relative unknown in the football world, would be taking over the reigns of the Poppies for this upcoming season.

"We are very pleased with this hire, and think that the supporters will be pleasantly surprised at the quality of job Matthew Kieta will bring to the position," Mallinger said in a phone interview.

Kieta himself was not made available for comment, but Mallinger said he is in town and will be introduced to the townfolk and media at a news conference scheduled at 2 p.m. today in front of Rockingham Road's main entrance.

The hire was announced with an evening hour press release, before the nightly news could get it, but Mallinger insisted the late announcement was merely a coincidence and was in no way an effort to shirk the media spotlight that normally accompanies such a move.

Mallinger said a factsheet would be distributed detailing Kieta's experience at the press conference.

Well regarded midfielder Shaun Murray, reached at his offseason home in Newcastle, wouldn't commit to an opinion on the new manager.

"I haven't heard of him," Murray said. "But I am willing to give him a shot. We need a manager, with Carl [Shutt] gone now, and I have to think this late in the season, the pickings are slim. I'll meet the man and then we'll see."

Murray is expected to be a field leader for the Poppies this year, especially with Shutt having been sacked. Shutt led the Poppies back to the Conference last year as a player-manager, but reportedly had a falling out with Mallinger near the end of the season that led to his firing.

Supporter Trust chairman Dave Tailby could not be reached for comment at the late hour.

What on Earth is going on?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 05-10-2003 at 08:29 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote