View Single Post
Old 05-10-2003, 05:52 PM   #1
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Poppies From The Terrace...A Different CM4 Dynasty

I once saw someone here undertake this, but they didn't get far. I thought at the time that it was a brilliant idea, so to whomever first came up with it, my nod to you.

Now here's the deal. I'm going to do a Kettering Town dynasty. But it will all be done from an outside perspective. I will use fan perspectives (both at the ground and in any number of other areas--at the home by the radio or watching the telly, at the pub, who knows where), radio and TV accounts from a listener/watcher's perspective, and newspaper/Internet accounts.

There will be no inner thoughts of managers and chairmen except what gets out to the public (through various channels); no ratings by the number (those don't exist in real life--just qualitative measurements); and what information is followed is essentially chosen by the fans/newspapers/sources accounted for in this dynasty--who are all clearly biased to local and national football only.

The primary fan I will center on will be a 34-year-old booking agent named Peter Tenford, born and raised in Kettering Town and a Poppies' fan for life.

For those of you not aware (given most of you will be Americans, so probably most of you ), Kettering Town was just promoted to the Nationwide Conference from the Southern League, a lower non-League (note the capitalization) table. The Poppies actually stayed there just a year, after being relegated from the Conference in 2000-01. Prior to that relegation, Kettering had been a regular member of the Conference for 30 years. They have never won promotion to the League.

Kettering Town is about 130 km northwest of London, more north than west. It's an hour by rail, and about an hour-and-ahalf to two hours by auto.

You'll meet Peter next.

Chief Rum

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote