View Single Post
Old 05-09-2003, 06:07 PM   #22
TroyF
Coordinator

CA,

Wow. I disagree 100%. I'm not one of Culpepper's biggest fans, and I'm one of Griese's biggest supporters. Yet there is no way Griese or Lucas are even close to the Culpepper class.

Brunell's performence the last couple of years is also inferior to Culpepper's. (Yes, even with the bad year he had last year)

I know a lot of people want to shred Daunte (and I've been one of them), but to make those type of statements is absurd IMO. For comparisons sake, Brunell has 3 seasons of over 7 yppa and 60%+ completion in his 8 years as a starting QB. Griese did it in 2 of his 4 years as a starter. (we won't even get into Lucas)

Culpepper is three for three. Granted, the turnovers have to be cut down on. (far and away his biggest problem) Still, only Brunell has did a heck of a lot better in that category over his career of the players you mentioned.

This is one of those 50/25/25 deals. If Culpepper cuts down on the turnovers and has a big year, the Vikings made a brilliant move here. If he's average, they still get decent value for the first couple of years of the deal. The only way it is horrific is if he gets worse. I don't think that is likely to happen.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote