Thread: UAE
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2003, 07:58 PM   #33
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Anrhydeddu
That/s funny story, Ben, hadn't heard that one before.

I came across that a lot when I was there (not saying your wife was one). It seems that most of these in-state UNC folks knew was only their little domain (since it was ingrained into them from birth) and therefore, to shelter their ignorance of the world, they form their own culture to keep Yankees and Westerners on the outside. <--that means don't shoot or ban me

I found that odd. I lived in North Carolina, so getting into UNC-Ch was a rather insignifigant task for me(friends at my high school with sub-1000 SATs got in easily). But when I left the state, many people at Georgia Tech were AMAZED I turned down the chance to go to UNC. Where I was, North Carolina, I viewed UNC as a rather easy school to get into and Georgia Tech as an extremely prestigious one. Many Georgia residents I talked to as a freshman had the exact opposite opinion, UNC is a great school, what do you want to come to Georgia Tech for!?

ANYWAY, the point of that is, UNC is a huge school, and you're almost certainly going to be exposed to the student populations of Duke and NC State during your stay there. I find it hard to imagine that a UNC grad would have such a cultural ignorance of the world that you guys are talking about.

I'm not doubting it or saying you're crazy, but I'm suprised by the statement.

I wonder how different that is now with the explosion of Research Triangle Park bringing so many different kinds of people to the area in the last 8-10 years.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote