View Single Post
Old 08-28-2006, 02:28 AM   #42
Mo.Raider
H.S. Freshman Team

I think the over looked part of high gas prices is the big picture. Higher gas prices will affect all products because of higher shipping costs. So far inflation has been kept in check to an extent, but it will eventually began creeping into just about every aspect of life. Unfortunatley the U.S. economy is wed to gasoline prices whether the effect is real or perceived. The majority of Americans are middle to lower working class and 50 bucks a month can mean more than sacrificing a night out at the movies. And even though people hate to admit it, when the majority starts curtailing their spending even those that are most insulated from the more costly gasoline start becoming affected through downsizing/layoffs. Eventually the economy will slow or crash. We are way to dependent on the flow of oil or in this case refining capacity to have any real security in the U.S. One can look at the Ford shutdowns as an example. People aren't buying as many new vehicles, because they either don't want the gas guzzlers they are producing, or they are afraid their is no end in sight for rising gas prices.