View Single Post
Old 08-26-2006, 04:13 PM   #15
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
They are directly linked. If we assume the amount of gas you must purchase is fixed and gas prices go up 50 percent, that translates into real dollars. I spend about $50 more per gas monthly right now than I did a year or so ago, and that money has to directly come from somewhere. There's only so much in the pie. In that regard, decisions on spending more money to go out to eat are directly link to gas prices.
I guess it depends on your perspective. There are a lot of factors whether go out more if gas prices go up 50%. Here are some:
  • Your income: IMHO, if you make $4k a month, $50 a month is nothing.
  • How much you spend on eating: I have a wife and three kids so it's often about $50 for me to eat out; on the other hand, if you're single that could be two or three meals out.
  • How much gas do you use: Obviously the less you use the less it affects you. There are subfactors like the kind of vehicle you drive, how far away work is, etc.

To me, $50 more per month is nothing due primarily to how much it costs my family to eat out. We usually eat out twice a week and this wouldn't affect me much. That's just $50 less I put into my kids' college funds.

Last edited by Raiders Army : 08-26-2006 at 04:14 PM.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote