View Single Post
Old 08-22-2006, 02:48 PM   #498
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by law90026
Liverpool 1 - Sheffield United 1
Liverpool did not look convincing at all, especially since they needed a very very controversial penalty to equalise. It may be early but Liverpool's attack doesn't look to be quite there yet. Bellamy is bloody brave though, something I've admired about his play for a long time.
Didn't see the game but the whole concept of Bellamy, Fowler and Pennant on the same squad still makes me giggle.

Kuijt was a great pick up by them, though, in my opinion.
Quote:
Arsenal 1 - Aston Villa 1
Same old Arsenal. Over-elaborate at times and lacking a true "predator" imo. Again, set-pieces look to be a problem, especially with a very young defence. I'm interested to see how the Reyes and Cole situations play out now ... do they get picked or are they sold before the transfer window closes?
With his (lack of) fitness, Le Boss should have sat Henry in my opinion. I would have been quite okay with the combination of Adebayor and Van Persie up front rather than an unfit Henry. Especially given that he's are risking further injuries to Henry.

I like Adebayor more than some Arsenal fans, I think. Especially if he's willing to continue to working on his finishing because he's far from a finish product. But he finds himself in great position to scores quite a lot. Plus he brings something different to the table than other Arsenal strikers - someone who's willing to stand in the middle of the box and provide a target in there.

A "predator" just isn't a typical trait of the current generation of players. Van Persie is the closest thing right now -- I think he'll be great when he gets a good run in the first team opposite Henry. On the other hand, two of them are coming down the pipeline and are currently on loan to get experience. Bendtner has already scored (twice?) for Birmingham City. I think the situation will improve a bit once Rosicky settles in. As he showed team USA, he's not shy about taking shots and should fill Pires' shoes as Henry gunning partner quite well.

I would guess that Cole is gone while Reyes will stay. Real Madrid is trying their standard asshole tactic of unsettling the player and hope for a cheap sale. AW/DD are just the type to flip them off and not accept it. On the other hand, I get the feeling that Chelsea are just posturing because it's Arsenal rather than not being willing to pay to get this done. That should get done. Eventually.

One report has a deal including 500.000 to Arsenal for each piece of silverware that Chelsea wins and another has Chelsea offering Gallas for Cole in a straight swap. In spite of how highly I rate Gallas, I don't know that I'd do that deal straight up. On the other hand, put Gallas together with Bridge and perhaps that bonus per each piece of silverwares that Chelsea lifts and I'd be set.
Quote:
Man U 4 - Fulham 1
Man U looks good, that's for sure. Rooney and Ronaldo appear to have worked out any issues they might have ... Fulham look to struggle again this season.
I think Manchester United's future look a lot brighter than some seems to. They have tons of young talent that should be coming together soon.

And I can't wait for Chelsea-Manchester United. As if the showcase of talent isn't already exciting enough, I can't wait to watch Boulahrouz mark C. Ronaldo.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote