View Single Post
Old 08-18-2006, 10:13 AM   #463
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
To be fair, that's not a reasonable comp - a striker (especially the likes of Ibrahimovic) is often responsible for creating the goals as much as scoring them. Also, Kezman, Machlas and co are the more recent examples, which may be why there's some degree of skepticism towards the goalscoring exploits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by law90026
I'm not saying he didn't score that many goals. But I tend to view goalscoring records from some of the smaller leagues with some scepticism. Nikos Machlas? Kezman? Sure some work out but not all do and it's not an indication by any means that the player is a "star". That's also why I view goalscoring records in the French League with similar scepticism (Cisse .. Wiltord ... Cygan - Defender of the Year??!?!).
I'm not saying that goals are a guarantee for being a star (hence Machlas and Kezman), but the majority still turned out to be world class strikers. Really, I'm skeptic myself, deep inside, I don't expect Kuijt to break into the starting lineup with Liverpool at all, and don't understand why he got the preference over Makaay and Van Nistelrooij in Oranje. But right now I think he deserves to be seen as a pretty good striker who could fit well with Liverpool's tradition. It's too early to write Kuijt down.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote