View Single Post
Old 08-17-2006, 08:19 PM   #462
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19
Do some facts checking before you make these kind of claims. If you had taken the time to look at who've done it before, you wouldn't be calling it that. He scored 29 goals in the 2004/2005 season, 22 the following season. That's pretty good for a guy who isn't known for his goalscoring.

Don't get me wrong, we're only a second tier league. And I've said it before, I'll say it again, I've never been impressed by Kuijt, I wouldn't put him in the usual Dutch top strikers class. He even played many years for my favorite team and I'm not all "He's the greatest thing on earth!".

But the numbers don't lie either. You don't score so many goals in that many consecutive seasons. The last player to manage a 20+ in three consecutive seasons was Dennis Bergkamp in 1990-1993. Of the ten times someone scored 29 or more goals, the players were named Mateja Kezman (2x), Ruud van Nistelrooij (2x), Nikos Machlas, Ronaldo, Wim Kieft and Marco van Basten (2x). Romario never managed more than 25, Patrick Kluivert's best is 18, Roy Makaay's best 19, Zlatan Ibrahimovic' 13.

I'm not saying he didn't score that many goals. But I tend to view goalscoring records from some of the smaller leagues with some scepticism. Nikos Machlas? Kezman? Sure some work out but not all do and it's not an indication by any means that the player is a "star". That's also why I view goalscoring records in the French League with similar scepticism (Cisse .. Wiltord ... Cygan - Defender of the Year??!?!).
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote