View Single Post
Old 08-17-2006, 06:37 PM   #458
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19
Do some facts checking before you make these kind of claims. If you had taken the time to look at who've done it before, you wouldn't be calling it that. He scored 29 goals in the 2004/2005 season, 22 the following season. That's pretty good for a guy who isn't known for his goalscoring.

Don't get me wrong, we're only a second tier league. And I've said it before, I'll say it again, I've never been impressed by Kuijt, I wouldn't put him in the usual Dutch top strikers class. He even played many years for my favorite team and I'm not all "He's the greatest thing on earth!".

But the numbers don't lie either. You don't score so many goals in that many consecutive seasons. The last player to manage a 20+ in three consecutive seasons was Dennis Bergkamp in 1990-1993. Of the ten times someone scored 29 or more goals, the players were named Mateja Kezman (2x), Ruud van Nistelrooij (2x), Nikos Machlas, Ronaldo, Wim Kieft and Marco van Basten (2x). Romario never managed more than 25, Patrick Kluivert's best is 18, Roy Makaay's best 19, Zlatan Ibrahimovic' 13.

To be fair, that's not a reasonable comp - a striker (especially the likes of Ibrahimovic) is often responsible for creating the goals as much as scoring them. Also, Kezman, Machlas and co are the more recent examples, which may be why there's some degree of skepticism towards the goalscoring exploits.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote