View Single Post
Old 08-16-2006, 11:17 PM   #1
mrsimperless
College Prospect

Thumbs up Comic books anyone?

I'm sure this has already been mentioned here as most of you people are complete toolbags, but who here enjoys reading comic books? I have by no means been a lifelong fan, but I used to read them back in the day. I was never a fan of the super hero genre, but I own all of the Shogun Warrior comics, and a lot of Transformers and 80's GI Joe comics as well. (With some Spider Ham thrown in for good measure)

Now recently I was talking with this nerd at work and he got me to reading Y: The Last Man. He told me that "comics have really matured" and "It's not just some kiddy crap, you'll like it!" I didn't believe him buhh.... Some really entertaining and worthwhile stuff here!

Then I asked him about more stuff and he turned me on to Fables, Powers, Black Hole and Watchmen. Then I heard about Maus (not really a comic, but a graphic novel) and loved that as well. Now, most of the titles I've mentioned are for mature audiences and they're not for the kiddies (especially Black Hole! No more penis pictures please!!) But I've gotten so crazy about this newer stuff that I even bought my daughter the first book of Bone, which contains the first year or so of the comics and she really loves it. (Cmon, I'm a good dad. It's nothing like it sounds. Back off HA) In fact, most of the comics have complete episodes available in graphic novel format.

I'd have to say that out of all of them, I'm completely addicted to Powers. Not only is it one of the best comics I've ever read, but it's one of the greatest stories in written media that I've had the pleasure of experiencing.

Here are some synopsis (synopSEES?) of some of the ones I've mentioned above:

Powers - Tells the story of a detective who investigates murders involving those people in his city who have super powers. He just happens to have been a superhero previously himself. Very creative and very original writing. Witty dialogue and a great story! If you read no other "new" comics, read this one!

Fables - Fairy tale characters come to life in modern day NYC after being driven out of their homeland. Snow White is the mayor and the Big Bad Wolf is the sherriff. (I can't even spell the word correctly anymore, thanks a LOT Darkiller...) Lots of funny and interesting stuff.

Maus - A Jewish son interviews his father about the Nazi oppression and his time in Auschwitz during WWII. The Jews are portrayed by mice, the Germans by cats, the polish by pigs and the Americans by dogs. A classic graphic novel and from what I hear one of the most renowned.

Black Hole - Teenagers become infected by an STD which causes them physical deformities of various and a sometimes brutal nature. Very graphic but a good read.

Y: The Last Man - A disease kills every man on earth except for one guy and his monkey. Seriously. Not all is fun and games as you'd think for the guy, though, and it explores gender issues I wouldn't touch. Loved it.

These are just some of the comics that I've been enjoying lately, but I hope to find more. I never knew being a geek could be so much fun! (well.... yes I did....)

Anyone else have anything to recommend?

mrsimperless is offline   Reply With Quote