View Single Post
Old 08-10-2006, 09:38 AM   #401
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus
Because 1) Le Boss comes up with great players that other teams want and 2) as much as it pains me to admit, we are not a "big" club (which I consider Mancheter United, Liverpool and, now, Chelsea to be, amongst English clubs). Clubs think that, with enough money on the table, we HAVE to sell. I disagree with that sentiment since I think the board is actually intelligent enough to never f' with Mr Wenger - although I think Mr Wenger is considerate enough to the board's financial restriction that he would consider it himself. Also, we have less of a "name" attachment than clubs like Real Madrid or Manchester United and, of course, to greedy scumbags, cannot -- or would not -- offer the level of salaries that Chelsea can.

Yeah this I understand on a rational level. Arsenal has really only become "continental" or "global" in recent years, mainly because of Wenger. However, what makes me sad is the fact that some of the players we're talking about were either homegrown and/or given the opportunity to shine in Arsenal. And it's not like they weren't paid well either. That's what's truly disappointing.

Viera: He was an AC Milan reserve and groomed to the star he eventually became.
Cole: Arsenal boy.
Henry: Say what you will, but it seemed touch and go last season whether he would stay, which is a tad worrisome. I'm also beginning to wonder whether he chokes on the big occasion (separate issue).
Cesc: Barca reserve.

I guess I wonder whether Arsenal will always have to face such issues or whether it can eventually become less of one ... time will tell I guess. It's just disappointing.

Quote:
Cole wants out and has wanted for the last year. Perhaps the Boss waited too long to get rid of Pennant and his selfish attitude got to Cole. Perhaps he really is a douche and his nature is merely surfacing. Whatever it is, meeting up with a rival the day before a huge match with another rival is unforgivable [and, amazingly, quite a number of Arse fans HAD forgiven him for it]. Refusing to accept the wrongness of it and attempting to blame the club for it is ridiculously beyond the pale.

Agreed, complete douche. I'm hoping the transfer takes place at some point in time for a figure between the 16 mil to 25 mil figure bandied about, simply because I don't think Cole would be in the right frame of mind. However, I'm also worried about the precedent it sets.

Quote:
Reyes, talented as he is, never really seemed settled at Arsenal. I don't think enough Arsenal fans ever really appreciated him enough for, what I think, he does. I think they wanted goals in the manner that Pires provided but he is not the same type of player [the only thing they had much in common was their tendency and willingness to plop on the ground]. He provided a number of really nice passes to release Henry on his runs, he tracked back on defense much more than Pires did. Also, based on comments from Sevilla fans, I don't think he was employed in his best position at Arsenal -- as the withdrawn striker. But what he wants is to return to Spain and Real Madrid is his best chance to do so. I can't consider it a bad thing for him to leave.

The problem isn't just Reyes. So far, Arsenal hasn't found the right complement to Henry, mainly because Wenger seems to be playing like players in the 2 forward spots. Reyes plays like a winger and Henry drifts out to the wing as well. That's a problem that has to be addressed.

I'm waiting for that typical goalscorer/poacher type to be acquired to be honest, or one of those strong forwards that can hold the ball up. Trezeguet comes to mind to fit the first and someone like Jan Koller (though he's too old now) would fit the second. I actually think Klose would be great but that's too farfetched I think.

And Reyes, for all his ability, never really got it going. He just doesn't seem to be suited for the English game. I can't say I'm overly disappointed he's leaving, it's just the manner of leaving that leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Quite frankly, I think there are enough options upfront (Henry/RVP/Adebayor/Lupoli?). The midfield looks decent .. it's the Defence I'm worried about. After Toure and Senderos, there isn't much back-up at all. And say what you will, Clichy hasn't shown the ability to stay healthy and Flamini isn't a natural left-back. Wenger is putting a lot of faith in his youngsters .. though I guess it worked for Man U at the time (Beckham, Scholes, et al).
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote