View Single Post
Old 08-10-2006, 08:33 AM   #400
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by law90026
I just find the whole Arsenal transfer situation a tad ludicrous. It just seems like Arsenal players find themselves in some sort of transfer wranggle every summer. There was the Viera issue for years before he left to Juve (a move I still don't understand), Henry and the rumours to Barca, and this year is Ashley Cole, Reyes and (before the WC ended) Cesc.

I'm not sure why it happens this way every year
Because 1) Le Boss comes up with great players that other teams want and 2) as much as it pains me to admit, we are not a "big" club (which I consider Mancheter United, Liverpool and, now, Chelsea to be, amongst English clubs). Clubs think that, with enough money on the table, we HAVE to sell. I disagree with that sentiment since I think the board is actually intelligent enough to never f' with Mr Wenger - although I think Mr Wenger is considerate enough to the board's financial restriction that he would consider it himself. Also, we have less of a "name" attachment than clubs like Real Madrid or Manchester United and, of course, to greedy scumbags, cannot -- or would not -- offer the level of salaries that Chelsea can.

One thing of note, however, in my opinion. With the exception of the end of last season, Henry's stance has always been that he's a Gunners through and through and, no matter what, he is staying. I feel better to see Cesc taking the same stance consistently. By contrast, Vieira consistently flirted with Real.
Quote:
Originally Posted by law90026
Anyways, the Cole deal appears to be off but I suspect something might happen over the next few days because Cole is clearly unhappy and pushing for the move in my opinion. Reyes appears to be out for sure since negotiations are taking place today. And now Henry is unhappy that there have been so many departures with few replacements brought in ... completely understandable.
While I can understand Henry's disappointment at the departures and potential departures and the lack of additions, I disagree with it. Sentiment aside, I think Dennis and Pires became 30 minute change of pace guys by the end of last season. I don't think either would have been happy with that role and there was no way to justify Pires' salary in that role. I don't think Campbell really had his heart in it with us anymore and, again, no way to justify his level of salary in the role he would have been best in with us (3rd centreback) nor would I really want him taking up valuable development time from Djourou with half-hearted efforts. Cole wants out and has wanted for the last year. Perhaps the Boss waited too long to get rid of Pennant and his selfish attitude got to Cole. Perhaps he really is a douche and his nature is merely surfacing. Whatever it is, meeting up with a rival the day before a huge match with another rival is unforgivable [and, amazingly, quite a number of Arse fans HAD forgiven him for it]. Refusing to accept the wrongness of it and attempting to blame the club for it is ridiculously beyond the pale. Reyes, talented as he is, never really seemed settled at Arsenal. I don't think enough Arsenal fans ever really appreciated him enough for, what I think, he does. I think they wanted goals in the manner that Pires provided but he is not the same type of player [the only thing they had much in common was their tendency and willingness to plop on the ground]. He provided a number of really nice passes to release Henry on his runs, he tracked back on defense much more than Pires did. Also, based on comments from Sevilla fans, I don't think he was employed in his best position at Arsenal -- as the withdrawn striker. But what he wants is to return to Spain and Real Madrid is his best chance to do so. I can't consider it a bad thing for him to leave.

Of all the people who have left or will be leaving, the only one I am troubled by is Reyes. And only because it leaves us rather thin on the left wing and because I think he will soon reach his potential. Mind you, if his departures is matched by the arrival of Ribery than I would be far less concern. And if the Boss could find it in his heart to rescue Roberto Ayala from his torture [something I seriously doubt would happen], I would be positively giddy.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote