View Single Post
Old 08-07-2006, 04:21 PM   #374
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999
Are people not understanding ARGUABLY the best? No one is saying they are the best team in the world, Chelsea is ARGUABLY one of the best in the world. Really there is no argument.

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but the quote in question was saying Chelsea was the best. I wouldn't have a problem if they said that Chelsea was arguably one of the best, because that's a valid statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch
Doesnt the fact that we're arguing about whether Chelsea are best in the world make them arguably the best in the world?

If I say that the MLS is arguably the best league in the world and we argue about it, does that make my statement true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katon
In 04-05, Chelsea were the best club team in the world. We had probably the best defence of any English club team ever, shattered the Premiership record points tally, and beat our only real competitors for the title head-to-head in the CL.

If Chelsea were the best club in the world in 04-05, why didn't they win the CL? Or the FA Cup? So they got to the semis in the CL, and they made it to the fifth round of the FA Cup. They still lost, and let's face it, greatness is determined by how much silverware you have in your trophy case at the end of the day. Just ask the Atlanta Braves about that.

I would pick Chelsea as second best in 04-05 with Milan the best. They made it to the CL final that year (and really should have won) and came in second to Juve in Serie A. If there hadn't been any kind of ref scandal, who's to say that Milan wouldn't have won the Serie A that year?

As for Ballack and Shevchenko, I'm holding judgement until I see how they perform with everyone else at Chelsea. Just because you sign a lot of big names, it doesn't always work out for you. Just ask Real Madrid.
Jonathan Ezarik is offline   Reply With Quote