View Single Post
Old 08-07-2006, 04:27 AM   #364
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Doesn't the word 'arguable' give us the room to argue about a it?

To some people having the best collection of players and winning the national league doesn't equal being the best team of the continent. I think my Indianapolis Colts comparison is the best example I could think of.

If you wish to use the last 3 years of European performance or continueing national league dominanceas the argument, then you have to throw PSV (Eindhoven) into the mix, which I would find absurd, rate Lyon far above Chelsea, throw Bayern Munchen in there and mention Juventu$ (okay, maybe not). You can't overlook FC Porto's UEFA Cup and CL victories in back to back seasons. AC Milan reached the final twice in the past four seasons, the semi's three times. Liverpool actually won the CL in that period. And I haven't even mentioned last season's CL finalistst Barcelona and Arsenal yet.

I can see where people would throw Chelsea in the mix, I would mention them in a top3 of best teams right now, but I also think there's no argument to put them on #1, not yet, outside of the list of names they have on their team. They're the top favorites to unseat Barcelona as European' champs and I wouldn't be surprised if they manage it and wouldn't mind admitting they are the best once they manage that.

Edit: I fixed some typos.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 08-07-2006 at 05:14 AM.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote