View Single Post
Old 08-03-2006, 08:05 PM   #291
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ezarik
I wonder if this is really true any more. Sure, you would love to win your league, but if they had to choose between winning the league or winning the CL, I think most players would choose the CL. There's more prestige involved in that. That's why certain clubs (Liverpool) are built the way they are. They can play well in Europe, but their style doesn't translate to the EPL.

Depends on the player, I'd think. And on what they'd won before. On the one hand the CL is more prestigious, but on the other hand there's always the feeling that the team winning a cup competition may not actually be the best team in it (e.g. Porto & Liverpool). Any team on Milan's level is going to try to win both. It matters a great deal to Milan whether or not they win the scudetto in a given year; winning one after-the-fact by decree would take quite a bit of the fun out, but I think this aspect of the punishment is still not completely insignificant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ezarik
I wasn't trying to compare the Marseille scandal to what's going on in Italy. I brought them up because it's an instance where UEFA did kick someone out of the CL and I was curious if UEFA was denying they could do something that they've done in the past.

Ah. Looking at it on wikipedia, it seems like the match where Tapie payed off Marseilles' opponents was actually the title-clinching game, so I imagine the French FA probably stripped them of that title, in which case UEFA wouldn't've had to do anything. I'm sure they can do it, though; they've added teams in the past when a national FA's interests went against the interests of the tournament as a whole (Liverpool), and there's no reason they couldn't work the same trick the other way. I've long since given up on expecting honesty or accuracy from the UEFA press office.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote