View Single Post
Old 07-22-2006, 10:16 PM   #76
21C
College Prospect

I have to say that I've been incredibly impressed with the ride of Floyd Landis over the entire Tour. With the odd exception, he hasn't had strong support from the other riders in his team and has had to do a lot of the grunt work on his own.

I was especially impressed with the way he handled himself after the mountain stage when he lost the yellow jersey. He didn't shy away from the media or start pointing the finger at anyone else ( like his team ) but just came out and said that he had a bad ride. Even if he did nothing else in the Tour, I would have applauded him for the classy way he stood up and took any perceived blame.

But then to turn around and win the next day's stage in the Alps and follow it up with the time trial where he took the yellow jersey back, that was just freaking great. I always enjoyed the wins of Lance Armstrong but I rank this year's performance of Floyd Landis almost as highly.

---
The only thing I didn't understand was an "incident" at the finish line. Landis got off his bike and was immediately surrounded by a throng of media people and race organizers. There was a brief moment shown of him throwing an empty water bottle at someone. It looked like it was done with malice but there was no mention of it on the telecast or the couple of websites I've seen since. I'm sure it was no big deal but he looked like he was seriously shitty with someone at the time.
21C is offline   Reply With Quote