View Single Post
Old 07-21-2006, 04:32 PM   #74
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19

Again, I don't think you can really blame a self-confident sportsman for knowing what he can and what he can't do. He's a grand champion, whom usually are associated with arrogance over their desire to win as much as they can. In the end, if you're as much as an Armstrong fan as you say you are, I realize it's gonna be very hard to convince you of that.

Not at all. I;m not trying to be all that contrary. I understand where you are coming from. People find the style of cycling that Armstrong used to dominate the tour boring. I actually agree. The only cycling events I follow are the Tour de France, and this year, albeit loosely, the Giro d' Italia. With that in mind Landis' early attack and Lemond's Time Trial are clearly more memorable than most of Armstrong's exploits.

I just find it hard to be critical of a style that is so successful, especially when it requires skill, strategy and team work. I guess notably the 'stress the rest of the field, and attack late' strategy greatly reduces risk.

As for the arrogance. I can definitely see your point there as well.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote