View Single Post
Old 06-12-2006, 03:34 AM   #299
Narcizo
Pro Rookie

All through the Sweden game I was thinking "If only Sweden had a midfielder who could look up and pass the ball well into the (savannahesque) expanses in the T&T defence." and then I remembered that they do. He was sat on the bench. Old CM0001 favourite Kim Källström come on with only 10 minutes left to play and proceeded to show why he should have been on all along.

Sweden played like they used to play about 6 years ago but that's what happens when one of your forwards is out of form (I don't think I've ever seen Zlatan make so many mistakes and look so heavy-footed) and the other is lacking match fitness and your "star" midfielder is struggling with an injury. The difference was, 6 years ago, Sweden always got the lucky break to win games against inferior opponents. Lagerbäck is always going to stick with established players which is why he didn't take Larsson off, started Anders Svensson and kept Linderoth on even when it was perfectly clear that he had nothing to do on the pitch and had just been injured. But he did sub Wilhelmsson (the owner of the ugliest haircut, not only in the World Cup but in the history of everything. Ever) despite the fact that he was the main originator of most chances for Sweden.

Given the complacency shown by the coaching staff under the game (we just have to keep on doing what we're doing and we'll score) and after it, it's nigh on impossible to see Sweden getting the win that they need against Paraguay.

England were fucking dire as well. Eriksson handed over the initiative to the Paraguayans on a golden platter in the second half. But at least they got the result. (Despite the huge gamble they took in keeping Ashley Cole on - a walking (well, stumbling) liability if ever I saw one). Yet another case of lack of match practice. I hate the way England play when they get an early lead in an important game. On the plus side England are pretty much assured top spot in the group now.

Last edited by Narcizo : 06-12-2006 at 03:37 AM.
Narcizo is offline   Reply With Quote