View Single Post
Old 06-10-2006, 04:01 PM   #251
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
By the way, I still think Van Basten is nuts for leaving out Seedorf and Makaay. Seedorf seems to think (or at least seems to hint) that there was a racial element to that, which is an old problem in Dutch squads (right ? between the Surinam born players and the Dutch born ?)
The racial stuff is total bullshit. Seedorf has played 77 caps and played like 5 good games. He's a good soccer player, but as Van Basten says, the AC Milan coach uses Seedorf in a way none of the Dutch team's roles are designed. Seedorf simply isn't made for Dutch style soccer. It's too bad, but it's just the way things are. He knows it, we all know it. He got like 50 chances to prove his qualities. The reaction overhere towards him are always over the top, but when you don't fit in the system, you don't belong on the team.

Concerning Makaay, I don't agree with it either, but given Van Basten's plans it makes sense. He wanted two players for every position and didn't want three central strikers. Somehow he wanted Vennegoor of Hesselink instead of Makaay or Huntelaar. But he wasn't going to start anyway with Van Nistelrooij around. But all in all, Makaay should have been the #2 I think.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 06-10-2006 at 04:06 PM.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote