View Single Post
Old 06-02-2006, 12:19 PM   #462
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
the star ratings are gone.

I can't speak for Markus or SI, but in some cases it was a design decision (star ratings falls into this category). I believe other features not making it (back) in are simply a function of the game being rewritten from scratch. I have no idea where that stat rating thing falls, but I would suspect it's the latter.

I don't have this new version of OOTP, but I find the complexity/simplicity debate interesting.

I like to move effectively through the evaluation of talent in text-sims, and FM can be overwhelming with both the amount of players and the amount of information per player. However, the one scouting section in FM lets me filter out 80-90% of the players I'm not interested in, and the star ratings let me quickly identify the 5% of the remaining players who I might be interested in. With such a system, despite the games massive database, after five minutes of tweaking scouting parameters I can look at one screen and identify 20 targets out of thousands. Amazing simplicity despite incredible complexity.

If OOTP has duplicated the size and complexity of FM's database without carefully streamling the way the gamer evaluates talent (too complex scouting procedures and no star ratings), it sounds like the game would be difficult to play. Fixing this would seem to be a priority, IMHO.

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 06-02-2006 at 12:24 PM.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote