View Single Post
Old 06-02-2006, 08:25 AM   #442
TroyF
Coordinator

Despite the ridiculous AI and some of the difficulties learning where things are, I'm simming games nearly as fast as I ever have.

I posted before OOTP came out how I played:

I let the AI handle everything, save roster movement. In OOTP, I've found the lineup/rotation settings to be simple enough that I set those. With this version, I set up my scouts. I leave my best scout free (saving him for the rookie draft). I have another scout take care of my organization. Then a couple for the US and one for the Dominican Republic and I'm off. I then sim one month at a time. I take a quick review of the roster, tweak a few things and repeat.

I'll control a few rounds of the draft in June. (and with OOTP, I have to make sure I set my best scout to scout the rookie pool). I also will look for trades in Mid-July before the trading deadline.

August forward all depends on if I'm in the race or not. Either way, I slow it down to two weeks at a time and bring some of my top prospects up and force them into the lineup for a few games. If I'm in contention, those games are very, very limited. If not, they get a lot more time.

This continues to the final weeks. If it's a ridiculously close race, I'll sim a day at a time if I have to down the stretch. Then the playoffs go day to day if I'm in em or sim straight through if I'm not.

I've simmed a few seasons already in one of my leagues just playing around. There IS more there. And the end of my months do take a tad more time because I'm looking at so many more numbers. I don't think the time has increased all that greatly for me.

Now the first day? Good God. Overwhelmed was a word I used a lot. I really was. After figuring out the bookmarks, I'm figuring out the UI (even if there are parts I don't like) and am moving fairly quickly through it.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote