View Single Post
Old 06-02-2006, 04:32 AM   #438
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Bingo.

When I play a text sim, I like to move quickly. It's not that I have any particular aversion to detail. Rather, I just like pile up some seasons. I like to see the kid I drafted mature, find success, leave as a free agent, become a star, come back at the end of his career, then retire and go into the Hall of Fame. I can't do that if it takes me an hour to go through each week.

Again, this is how I like to play. Other people like the detail. That's cool. But for me, it doesn't work. That's why I couldn't get into EHM. Even when I was having fun, I'd play all night and still be in October. I'd realize it would be months before I felt like I had any kind of real history with the game, and I just don't have the time or attention span to play a sim that way.

The ironic thing is that SI's detailed approach killed EHM for me and doesn't sound promising for OOTP, but would actually sound pretty good for an NFL sim. The short season makes US football an easier sport to get into detail with at the sim level.

I've been reading this post with interest, as although I have no plans to buy OOTP, I was intrigued to the reaction of SI's involvement and increasing the scale of the game

This is my view on games as well - I hardly ever play FM: if it's gonna take a month to play a season it ought to be a perfect sim IMHO, with correctly modelled transfers, finances, difficulty, etc, and as it isn't it's not worth the time I would have to invest. CM0304 was the last version I played extensively - the FM versions are too slow for me because of the amount of detail they have to process. I won't be buying the next one, which is a shame as I have played every version from CM2 - CM0304 to death.

It sounds very much like the SI 'simulation' has vanquished the OOTP game as well. As one of the earlier posts stated, different things for different people, but SI's game have moved away from what I am looking for. However, they are picking up more new buyers every year than those who drift away, so I'm sure it's not a major concern to them

Last edited by AlexB : 06-02-2006 at 04:36 AM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote