View Single Post
Old 06-01-2006, 06:23 PM   #339
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekanth
Simple is better when it comes to text sims, or at least having the option to make things simple. It is great that there is so much detail for the people who like to dig into what your backup OF's numbers are with runners on 1st and 3rd. For me, I would like to be able to look at my AAA roster, quickly be able to tell who deserves a shot at the ML level to replace my MR who is sporting a 7.80 ERA in Mid-June. That's not happening right now.
Bingo.

When I play a text sim, I like to move quickly. It's not that I have any particular aversion to detail. Rather, I just like pile up some seasons. I like to see the kid I drafted mature, find success, leave as a free agent, become a star, come back at the end of his career, then retire and go into the Hall of Fame. I can't do that if it takes me an hour to go through each week.

Again, this is how I like to play. Other people like the detail. That's cool. But for me, it doesn't work. That's why I couldn't get into EHM. Even when I was having fun, I'd play all night and still be in October. I'd realize it would be months before I felt like I had any kind of real history with the game, and I just don't have the time or attention span to play a sim that way.

The ironic thing is that SI's detailed approach killed EHM for me and doesn't sound promising for OOTP, but would actually sound pretty good for an NFL sim. The short season makes US football an easier sport to get into detail with at the sim level.