View Single Post
Old 06-01-2006, 06:32 AM   #232
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49
So it sounds like Bee got discouraged playing a career as a minor league manager. Is anyone else trying that or will impressions of that have to wait? Anyone have draft impressions? For those managing in the majors, such as lynchjim because I know we have similar play styles, what kind of decisions are you making on a daily basis? Certain micromanaging I don't mind as long as the decisions are easy to do, meaning I'm not forced to go to 5 screens play each week, for instance.

I haven't quite gotten through spring training yet. I actually haven't been able to figure out how to look at my spring training stats. Nor have I figured out how I could actually watch/manage the game. I'm sure all this is in the manual, but I'm not really a manual kind of guy - that's on me, not the game.

You get a lot of trade offers, which are horrible to get through. If you go from the trade offer to the closest thing the game has to a trade block - then the game tells you the offer has expired when you go back to your email. This of course makes no sense because it tells you that you have 14 days to decide.

I set up a fictional league based on real life. I already miss the old OOTP 'transactions' screen. I think that might be my favorite text sim screen and the new one is much more complicated. You have to hit a drop down to pick which of the 5 minor league teams you are looking at and you can't see nearly as many players as you used to be able to. Certainly part of this is because of the added levels of minors, but I miss that screen.

The set lineup and rotation screens aren't all that easy to work with. Another area where the simpler screens in OOTP were better. Sure now you have more lineup flexibility, but I play as a GM mostly and used to only tweak things a little bit. Being able to quickly tweak lineups is something that isn't as easy as it was before.

It's really exactly what I expected. It's now more designed for the FM type player who slowly plays out seasons. There is just too much going on to really play this game like I played solo OOTP in the past. It's an amazing game, but if you added maybe a half dozen of the new features to OOTP 6.5 I would have been happier then I'm going to be with the complexity I'm faced with here. I don't have huge amounts of time to play and I'm interested in the long term aspects of a league, watching players develop - building a history around my team. I can't spend 20 minutes trying to figure out which player I should designate for assignment, but with all the information at your fingertips it makes decisions like that harder - not easier.

Maybe it will grow on me, but I have never been able to get into FM or EHM because there was just 'too much'.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote