View Single Post
Old 06-01-2006, 02:45 AM   #224
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by aran
SackAttack:

From your experiences so far, do you prefer puresim or OOTPB?

Smartass answer: a gun barrel in my mouth.

Honest answer: God, I don't know. For the most part, I prefer the FM-style interface that OOTP sports, and God knows it buries PureSim statistically at the moment.

On the other hand, glancing at the tech support forum over at OOTP's forums, it looks like OOTP really wasn't ready for release even ignoring some of the complaints about its intuitiveness. It's a complex game, I understand that.

But when I see that somehow relief pitchers are earning wins and saves at the same time, I wonder how that made it past beta. It realistically should have taken one extra-inning game of sufficient length to find that. Hell, the first game I managed, I found that. Do the beta testers just bang on the simulation engine without testing the manage mode?

There are improvements to OOTP, and a great many of them, but what I'm finding right now is that getting STARTED is an overwhelming chore. Then there's all the hunting around through various menus to find out how to do things like make trades, activate players received via trade, there's stuff like lineup replacement that automatically voids the position (so if you swap centerfielders, you have to re-set your player as a centerfielder, doubling the number of necessary clicks)...

Let me summarize my level of frustration with the two games this way:

If I were an average consumer who had purchased PureSim, OOTP and Baseball Mogul 2007 right now, and I were choosing one to play, I would probably go with Mogul. It's simplistic, yes, but at least it won't drive me to baldness before my 30's.

PureSim needs some polish before I can call it the best of the bunch, and OOTP is clearly, CLEARLY suffering from growing pains related to the switch to SI's codebase.

With PureSim, I know that most of my frustrations are fixable with future patches and updates. That's going to be a game I can play and enjoy with a little patience.

OOTP, I can see a game in there that I want to play. What's driving me fucking batshit insane is figuring out how to GET to that game.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote