View Single Post
Old 05-23-2006, 09:37 AM   #420
AgustusM
College Prospect

Quote:
From IGN Preview Next question jumps into strategy: How would you attack a Cover 2 defense? My options are: Hit your receiver with a quick out route. Establish the run. Hit the tight end over the middle. That's an easy one. With the Cover 2, the safeties have too many yards to catch up if you throw a quick out. Once the receiver gets past the corner, he's in one of those open zones until the safety can run all the way over to cover his spot. I answer with the quick out route and see a boost in my strategy attributes on the side of the screen.

Now I don't think this is a game-breaker or anything, but I was stunned to hear this just because of how WRONG this is. Against cover 2 the quick out route is the one route guaranteed to produce a lot of TD's - that is for CB easily picking the ball off and strolling untouched into the opposite end zone.

Of ALL the basic coverages - cover 2 is the ONLY coverage where the flat defender starts in the flat!!!! on 3 and 4 the flat defender is the outside LB or nickle back.

To beat the cover 2 you can run inside (only 7 guys in the box) or better yet send 3 vertical routes, forcing the 2 safeties to choose between covering the WR on the fade or the TE on the seam.

If you want to hit an out against cover 2 - you had better make it a deeper out and combine it with a TE or back in the flat to keep the CB out of the throwing lane.
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote