View Single Post
Old 05-01-2006, 04:47 PM   #481
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
When Chelios came out after game one and admitted that he essentially created the call against Laraque, then to see the refs still calling penalty after penalty against the Oilers (while Chelios continues to at the very best, embelish plays) just sickens me.

Like Jarret Stoll on that 5 on 3 non-call on Lidstrom?

Quote:
The play with Hemsky, well, I feel pretty confident saying that I somehow doubt Ales was looking for the big hit It's one thing to put your stick into the guys legs, but then to throw the shoulder in the danger zone, well, an aging veteran (nicest thing I can think to call him) could have ended a potentialy stellar career with that move.

Chelios is 44! He's an old man. That kid was trying to kill him out there. I don't care if his name is "Ales" or if he looks all of "14." He's an animal.

Quote:
As for the trap, I've stood by hating it the entire series. Our best play has come when we're not playing the trap, and if it wasn't for the fact that Roloson's game has rounded into form, this "system" wouldn't be working. The only caveat to this is that if MacT implemented this system because he doesn't trust his 4 lines to give him 60 minutes of work every night and figured they'd be better off coasting/trapping as a group rather than whenver they feel like it, then all going 110% (hopefully) when he tells them to. With this trap, they've caused very few turnovers, and if anything have taken away their own scoring chances by refusing to forecheck even when Detroit hasn't had full control of the puck. When they have decided to play a press forecheck is when they've made turnovers and potted a surprising number of their chances. If anything, that is the one area they've improved on thus far and what has gotten them to this point.

You're not wrong. The Oilers have been at their best when forechecking hard. Though, the trap worked to perfection in the 3rd period on Saturday. It was a dull, completely forgetable period of hockey. That's what happens when the system is working and you have a 2 goal lead.

Quote:
During the season they never capitalized on as many chances as they are right now.

That was the knock against the Oilers all season long. Not being able to finish around the net. That's what's so surprising. It's not like Edmonton's skilled players are doing their job. Other than trying to kill a senior citizen, what else has Hemsky done? What about Samsonov? Smyth has been a force, as has Pronger. The rest of the damage is coming from the likes of Pisani, Torres, Winchester, etc. The Wings "equivalents" - Williams, Samuelsson, etc. - aren't getting it done.

Quote:
That all said, I feel it only fair to state that my all time favorite player is Yzerman, and I fear that his will alone will carry the Wings to a win tonight as I just can't fathom him sitting this one out.

You are a wise man. Let's hope you are right.

I wont say good luck and I don't expect you too either.

Enjoy!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote