View Single Post
Old 04-29-2003, 07:45 AM   #170
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

2006 MONTREAL POSITION REPORTS

Here is a link to our team roster at the end of 2K5.

CATCHER
Jose “Wild Card” Camacho (Avg/Brl/Good,5/9/6,29yo) returns for season five. I pretty much know what to expect from him at this point. His last three seasons have all seen him put up 20-25 homers with an average in the 220’s. He hit #7 and #8 for us most of the year last year. He did cut his strikeouts down from the 170’s to the 150’s, and his contact rose from 4 at the beginning of last season to five, so maybe he’ll be a bit more productive. His primary backup this year will be Carlos “The Bull” Davila (Avg/Avg/Good,4/6/8,29yo, who batted .303 with 23 homers in AAA last year. Harold Gingras (Avg/Avg/Avg,5/5/5,24yo can catch and play 1st base. He’s a 3-star prospect. Last year’s backup is still on the roster, Paul Chasse (Avg/Poor/Fair,4/4/3,29yo).

OVERALL THOUGHTS: Davila intrigues me, as he’s batted .289 and .303 with 24 and 23 homers the last two years in AAA. I want to get him some at-bats. I may start him vs. LHP’s and see how he does. With Davila’s call-up, Gingras will play every day in AAA now, and Chasse becomes the odd man out.

FIRST BASE
John Swensen (Good/Brl/Brl,7/8/10,28yo) batted #2 last year, and had a .362 OBP, 25 HR’s and 95 runs scored. He’s signed through 2009. George Palafox (Good/Brl/Avg,2/3/4,27yo) still hasn’t impressed. Franklyn Armstrong (Good/Avg/Avg,6/3/5,26yo) hit .331 in AAA last year, and bats right-handed. He may get some at-bats, as Swensen only hit .197 vs. LHP last year.

OVERALL THOUGHTS: Armstrong, a former 7th-round draft choice, may just work his way into a platoon situation if Swensen can’t pick it up against lefties.

SECOND BASE
Tyrone Sweeney (Good/Good/Avg,6/6/6,29yo) has been the starter for two years and our leadoff hitter. He was 50 for 66 in stolen bases last year, hit 21 homers, and scored 100 runs. Ryan Wiens (Good/Fair/Fair,6/4/6,35yo), a former starter, is still a capable defensive replacement and backup at 2B (B) and SS (C). 3 ½-star prospect Francisco Labarbera (Good/Fair/Avg,1/2/3,20yo) has come onto the radar screen as a guy with potential. He batted .305 in single-A last year.

OVERALL THOUGHTS: I am very comfortable with Sweeney as the starter. He’s signed through 2008.

THIRD BASE
Harry “Pluto” Reid (Good/Good/Good,6/7/7,25yo) followed up his rookie-of-the-year 2004 with almost identical numbers, except that his strikeouts dropped from 153 to 108. Because of Reid’s “E” range at 3B, Earl Gosser (Good/Fair/Avg,6/4/6,33yo) will often replace him defensively. Gosser has “B” range.

OVERALL THOUGHTS: If Reid can step it up a bit offensively, our already-dangerous lineup just gets that much better. He’s going to be around a while it appears. For the first time, he’s eligible for arbitration after this season.

SHORTSTOP
[b]Matthew Erwin (Avg/Brl/Fair,4/10/6,32yo) is in the third and final year of his FA contract. He’s hit over 30 HR’s and driven in over 100 runs in each of the past two seasons in Montreal. He’s got “B” range. Abel Pardo (Avg/Good/Fair,4/6/6,27yo) will still be counted on for his speed and defense off the bench. Arthur Owens (Avg/Fair/Brl,3/3/7,21yo) is a 3.5 star guy with C range at 2B/3B/SS. He was called up to AA late in the season, and responded with an .853 OPS.

OVERALL THOUGHTS: Erwin gives me great power and good defense, and Pardo is a capable backup. I can’t complain here. Both of their contracts run out after this season.

LEFT FIELD
Russ Mangan (Avg/Good/Avg,4/7/6,27yo), stepped it up a notch last year, hitting 23 homers, stealing 31 bases, and improving his hitting from .206 to .244.

OVERALL THOUGHTS: If Mangan can take it up another notch, he will become the long-term solution out there.

CENTER FIELD
James “Handyman” Wuest (Good/Good/Brl,7/8/10,35yo) rebounded from a 16HR effort in ’04 to hit 33 last season, with a .940 OPS, the third-best in his stellar career. Barring injury, he’ll pass 2,000 hits this year.

OVERALL THOUGHTS: CF still belongs to the Handyman. He is signed through 2009. If he puts up solid numbers that long, not only will I be a happy manager, but he’ll likely play himself in the Hall of Fame. He’s 144 homers away from the magical 500.

RIGHT FIELD
Ronald “Swordfish” Feely (Good/Brl/Fair,6/8/5,29yo), a lifetime Expo, got a four-year deal after last season. He has 96 homers and 294 RBI’s over the last three seasons. He has “C” range and an “A” arm.

OVERALL THOUGHTS: There’s no reason not to expect Feely to be a star for several years.

[b]STARTING PITCHER[/u]
Freddy Castonguay (Brl/Good/Brl,10/8/8,28yo) was clearly the ace last year (20-8,2.32). He’s in his contract year. Lefty Steve Adams (Brl/Good/Avg,10/7/6, age 30 tossed a no-no last year en route to a 15-10, 3.09 season. Dewey Baumer (Brl/Avg/Brl,10/7/8,28yo) had a bit of an off year for him (14-7,4.11). At his age, there’s no reason to expect that he won’t bounce back.. Benjamin Lopez (Good/Good/Good,8/6/6,27yo) looked pretty good in 14 starts (7-3,3.68). Marcos Fernandez (Good/Avg/Brl,7/6/8,35yo tore his bicep in May after an 0-5, 5.60 start. He’s in the last year of his contract, and will make $5.75M this year, so he’ll get a shot. Other veterans who could see starts in the event of injury or poor performance are: Billy Hague (Avg/Brl/Good,6/8/6,28yo) (6-8,3.87 at AAA) and Harry Stickles (Avg/Avg/Good,7/7/7,36yo) (10-6,3.66).

We have three SP prospects worth mentioning at this point:: [b]Hikoshirou Haruhiko (Good/Brl/Good,7/7/6,25yo, 5 stars), [b]Gregorio Cruz (Good/Brl/Good,8/7/6,25yo,5 stars) and Gregory Alkire (Avg/Good/Avg,4/5/4,22yo,3.5 stars). Cruz has had stints in MLB in each of the past two seasons, but has gotten ROCKED (1-11,8.08).

OVERALL THOUGHTS: Well, Stickles refuses assignment to AAA and I’m not ready to lose him yet, so he’ll begin the season in the fifth spot of the rotation. Obviously Castonguay-Baumer-Adams will be in. The fourth spot will be decided after spring training. Right now it is between Fernandez coming off his injury, Haruhiko and Lopez.

RELIEF PITCHING
Righty Samuel Marmolejo (Good/Good/Good,8/8/6,35yo) led the league with 42 saves last year, while blowing four. Sol Steele (Good/Avg/Brl,10/7/9,29yo) (4-3,2.78) will be the primary setup man again. Dion Martinez (Brl/Good/Brl,10/7/8,28yo), a right-hander (6-3,3.40) should also be an important piece again. The top lefty is Daniel Houtz (Good/Brl/Brl,8/8/8,25yo), who had a 3.10 ERA in 62 appearances last year.

OVERALL THOUGHTS: The ‘pen has been one of our strong points, and should continue to be.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote