View Single Post
Old 04-05-2006, 04:46 PM   #93
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
You're fucking CLUELESS is you believe this. Bands like the Velvet Underground and The Pixies had way, way, way bigger impacts on music than their record sales would indicate.

This is the same argument as the previous posts about Nirvana being important or not. I am particularly unimpressed by the Pixies music, but they were a huge influence on a huge number of rock bands.

Whether people like Nirvana or not, I cannot see how people cannot say they were not an important band: they opened up major labels and the general public for bands that would not have had a look in before, and had as big an influence on many later bands as the Pixies had had for them.

(For the record I do Like Nirvana a lot, apart the horrendous (IHMO) In Utero - personally I think this is the record that crossed the line from mixing punk and rock, throwing in major feedback and making great songs, into basically creating major feedback and making noise)

If anybody wants to find out about Kurt Cobain's life, I strongly recommend 'Heavier Than Heaven' by Charles R Cross. While Cross was a Music Journo, and the fact he chose to write the book shows he is not necessarily personally completely impartial, it does seem fairly balanced, painting a not-altogether rosy picture of Cobain, and goes a long way to answering some of the points in this thread, for example his struggles to cope with fame, and mess of a relationship with Courtney Love, both of which were largely his own making.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote